Course Selection with Ms. Sierra Hoover

Freshmen, sophomores, and juniors―now is the time to plan for next year.  As incoming students may not know, Legacy offers a variety of courses from the STEM field to family/consumer science and athletics.

This year, all course selection is due on Friday, February 10, and all AP applications are due Friday, February 10 by NOON. All other important dates are as follows:

• Jan. 24-27:  Course Selection Presentations in Auditorium
  • Feb. 1:  AP Parent and Student Meeting @ 6:30 p.m.
  • Feb. 2-7: AP Information Meetings
    • Attend meetings & receive agreements – see this SCHEDULE
    • Submit completed agreements to the counseling office by Friday, February 10 at NOON
  • Jan. 27 – Feb 10:  Complete Course Selection Online
    • Referring to the 4 year plan, students will complete a course selection worksheet and officially select courses for 2023/2024 online through Infinite Campus
  • Counselors Available for support
    • Feb 1 & 2:  Legacy and Future Forward counselors will be in the commons
    • Feb 8:  Legacy  will be in the commons during lunch periods

To graduate, students require a demonstration of college & career readiness by achieving the minimum score in at least one of the assessments:

• Accuplacer
  • ACT
  • ACT Work Keys
  • Advanced Placement
  • ASVAB
  • Concurrent Enrollment
  • Collaboratively Developed Assessment
  • District Capstone
  • Industry Certificate
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • SAT (minimum score of 970)

Legacy offers free PSAT testing in April for freshmen and sophomores for practice. In junior year, they offer free SAT testing in April.

When planning for courses, also keep in mind graduation requirements, consisting of:

• 4 English
  • 3 Mathematics
  • 3 Social Sciences (requires 1.0 U.S. History, 0.5 Government)
  • 3 Science (requires 2.0 Lab-based)
  • 1 Physical Education (requires 0.5 Health)
  • 2 Fine & Practical Arts (Music, Art, Theater, Career & Tech Education, World Language)
  • 7 Electives

In what department would you like to see new classes?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

To plan for college, Legacy offers a credit tracking worksheet. It includes a box for each 0.5 credit and is categorized into the seven required class categories to graduate.

Legacy’s Course Selection Guide provides a summary, credits, and possible careers of all offered courses.

Legacy also offers Advanced Placement, or AP classes, which are college-level classes that can provide college credit and graduation credits. Please click on Legacy’s AP website for more information about AP policies, homework, exam information, and after-school sessions.

Along with AP, students can enroll in Future Forward at Bollman or Washington Square. These classes provide hands-on classes ranging from firefighting to forensics and graphic design. Students can also find them in the guide.

To provide more information, we contacted the assistant principal, Ms. Hoover, who kindly gave information regarding new courses next year:

My favorite elective(s) are positive PE, Positive Art, and Positive Music. Our Positive classes are an inclusive environment where students in our SSN program engage in fun hands-on activities with their peer helpers. It is an extremely fun and rewarding class that I think all students should consider taking at some point in their high school careers!

— Assistant Principal Ms. Sierra Hoover

Legacy also added new classes in English and Math: Multicultural Literature, Mythology, and AP Precalculus. The admissions team also updated course names in Choir to be more inclusive, changing “Women’s Choir” to “Treble Choir” and “Men’s Choir” to “Tenor-Bass Choir”.

I am excited about the new English electives for next year! We have been talking about changing those up to offer more student choice for a few years and I am glad to see it happening next year. I would love to see Future Forward expand to offer a cosmetology option for students sometime in the future as well, knowing that we would likely have a lot of interested students.

— Assistant Principal Ms. Sierra Hoover

To determine your course selections next year, Ms. Hoover suggests:

Think about your future and where your passions are when deciding on classes. Having the opportunity to explore a variety of topics and areas of interest prior to making a decision regarding your post-secondary plan is extremely valuable. Legacy offers so many options and pathways for kids, it can open a lot of doors to future careers and passions!

— Assistant Principal Ms. Sierra Hoover

We determine schedules based on student requests and their graduation plans. We also take into account course prerequisites. Once all of those pieces are in place, we use that as a magic recipe to determine which classes to offer for the following school year and students get scheduled as such.

— Assistant Principal Ms. Sierra Hoover

For more information, please visit Legacy’s Course Selection Guide, Course Selection Presentation, or Course Selection Website. Students might have also received an online newsletter for their class, which regards the above timeline, job opportunities, external opportunities, college visits, and scholarships. If you have not received this email, please contact your counselor.