The Student News Site of Legacy High School

Lightning Letter

Lightning Letter

Lightning Letter

In Memory of Christopher Reagan: the Chris Reagan Memorial Golf Tournament
Lindsay Uba, President • April 21, 2024
What to Expect from the Upcoming AP Tests
Sam Holmberg, Writer & Photographer • April 16, 2024
Chicago: Teen Edition poster from the Legacy High School Thespians
Legacy's Musical Production: Chicago
Lindsay Uba, President • March 20, 2024
Lindsay Uba, President • April 21, 2024
Legacy's Musical Production: Chicago
Lindsay Uba, President • March 20, 2024

AP season is rapidly approaching and for many first time testers, the actual procedure is a mystery. Let’s talk about it. 

Test Timing

AP testing takes place over a two week period, May 6th to 17th. There are three time slots a day: 8am, 12pm, and 2pm. Most will have their test in the first two slots with only Physics: C (E&M) having a test at 2pm. Class specific testing times and locations can be found here.

Students are expected to report to the large gym roughly 45 minutes before the test. Teachers will handle this dismissal. There are exceptions for the following classes: Physics C: Mechanics, Computer Science Principles, Macroeconomics, and Precalculus. These four classes will report to the gym at 11:30 instead of 11:15. Physics: C (E&M) will meet at 1:40. 

Dismissal and Absences

Students will be dismissed from the five periods surrounding the testing time: 1-5th periods for the 8am test, 3-8th periods for the 12pm test, and 6-8th periods for that Physics: C (E&M) test. This is understandably a busy time for the attendance office, so do not expect to see an excused absence till the end of the testing day. Parents do not need to call students out for the test.

What can you bring to the test?

Required: a pen or #2 pencil

Recommended: comfortable clothes

Course Specific: a ruler (AP Physics) and a calculator (check if your course allows them here)

Allowed, kept at the side of the room: Any bags, food, and water

Not Allowed: phones, smart watches, blankets, pillows, scratch paper (will be provided), reference material, and recording devices
Leave phones and smart watches out of the room. If brought into the room, they will be taken and stored safely by the proctors

Accommodations

Students with existing accommodations should have been reached out to already. To set up a new accommodation contact Carrie Kujawa (504 plans) or Allyson Ruvere (IEPs). People testing in a separate room will still meet in the large gym with all other students.

Absences and Late Tests

Inform Anthony Romano ([email protected]) of your absence and the reason for it before or the day of the test. Your test will be rescheduled to one of the set make-up days. Based on reasoning for the absence a make-up test may be denied or added with an extra fee. You can see the make-up test schedule here.

The Actual Test

Most AP tests are made up out of two sections, a multiple choice section and an open response section. The multiple choice will have a test booklet full of questions and reference materials. The open response section will also have a test booklet as well as a place to write your answers. Any answers written on the test booklet will not be graded. Other, course specific, details will be given by your proctor on test day. As a side note, this year will be the last year of AP exams on paper so be prepared for an online test next year and the years after.

Conclusion

There you have it, a rough run down of exactly how AP week is going to play out. For any additional questions about AP testing check out College Board’s AP testing section or reach out to your AP teacher.