The Student News Site of Legacy High School

Lightning Letter

Lightning Letter

Lightning Letter

In Memory of Christopher Reagan: the Chris Reagan Memorial Golf Tournament
Lindsay Uba, President • April 21, 2024
What to Expect from the Upcoming AP Tests
Sam Holmberg, Writer & Photographer • April 16, 2024
Chicago: Teen Edition poster from the Legacy High School Thespians
Legacy's Musical Production: Chicago
Lindsay Uba, President • March 20, 2024
Lindsay Uba, President • April 21, 2024
Legacy's Musical Production: Chicago
Lindsay Uba, President • March 20, 2024

7 Wordle-like Games to Procrastinate With

New York Times’ Wordle logo (nytimes.com)

In early 2022, a new game took the internet by storm. In less than 3 months, Wordle had obtained over 2 million daily players. The game’s concept is simple: guess a 5-letter word in 6 tries with color-coded feedback.

Now, almost 2 years later, Wordle has lost much of its charm. However, Wordle inspired many guess-based games all over the internet. Here are 7 Wordle-like games I recommend:

School-blocked games are marked by *

A picture of a 3D globe where the USA is centered. The USA is highlighted a light orange
Screenshot of gameplay from Globle.com

Globle *

Globle-game.com

Globle tests your knowledge on countries around the world. Guess a country and it will appear highlighted on a 3D globe. The color of the country shows how close you are to the answer. White or light yellow for very far off, orange for close, dark red for very close, and green for the correct guess. In cases where it can be hard to tell which country is the closest, Globle also provides a list of which country is closest to the answer. Refreshes at midnight local time.

A model showing the ancestral connections between plants. It starts with Viridiplanae. Under it is Mesangiospermae which then branches to cinnamon and asterids. Asterids then branches to dandelion and solanum. Solanum then branches to eggplant and tomato. It ends there.
Gameplay example from flora.metazooa.com

Metaflora *

flora.metazooa.com

Metaflora’s objective is to discover the day’s mystery plant based on its relation with your guess. Great for those who know (or want to know) a LOT about the ancestral hierarchy of plants. 

Starting with the base species family, your guesses will narrow down the answer by taxonomic rank. Although a definition of the category is given, I would recommend having google pulled up in another tab. Your guesses create a family tree. Additionally, these are color coded. The more green that the guess appears the closer you are to the answer.

Stuck? Metaflora provides a dropdown menu full of possible guesses as well as a hint feature. In exchange for 3 guesses, one further classification is revealed.  Refreshes at 5pm local time.

A model showing the ancestral connections between animals. It starts with Metazoa. Under it is Euteleostomi which then branches to clownfish and mammalia. Mammalia then branches to platypus and Hominiae. Hominiae then branches to chimpanzee and human. It ends there.
Gameplay example from Metazooa.com

Metazooa *

Metazooa.com

Metazooa meanwhile, is about guessing the mystery animal. I would say that Metazooa can be much harder than Metaflora so it’s great for a challenge. Especially if it’s a bird. There are a lot of birds in the world. Refreshes at 5pm local time.

A small cartoonish bee on a yellow backround. Underneath the bee it says Spelling Bee
New York Times’ Spelling Bee logo (nytimes.com)

New York Times’ Spelling Bee

nytimes.com/puzzles/spelling-bee

Unlike other games on this list, the NYT’s Spelling Bee is not Wordle-inspired. Spelling Bee is a twist on a common word game: , anagrams. Anagrams is a game where you’re given a group of letters, typically 5-10, and you try to create as many unique words as you can using only the given letters. Spelling Bee takes a normal game of anagrams and adds a challenge—you have to use the center letter. Refreshes at midnight local time.

A small multicolored box with lines running across it. Underneath it was Letter Boxed
New York Times’ Letter Boxed Logo (nytimes.com)

New York Times’ Letter Boxed

nytimes.com/puzzles/letter-boxed

Letter Boxed, like the name implies, is based around a box with three letters on each side. The goal is to use all letters present in a set number of words without using two letters on the same side in a row. This can be especially difficult when given letters like “E” and “X” on the same side. Refreshes at midnight local time.

A large circle on a black backround. The circle is divided into four pieces. The largest part is on the right side and is colored mint green. It takes up half the circle. On the top left there is a gray section. It takes up a fourth of the circle. Under it there is another gray section with takes up a third of the circle. Below there is a fourth gray section that takes up a sixth of the circle.
Screenshot of gameplay from Colorfle.com

Colorfle *

Colorfle.com

Colorfle is both a fun game and a great way to practice color theory. Colorfle gives the player a set of colors to use and asks them to match a given color. Test if you can figure out what colors are combined and in what measures. Refreshes at 5pm local time.

The letters E, R, and T are in individual gray boxes. In each box there is a random scatter of yellow and green squares.
Screenshot of gameplay from Duotrigordle.com

Duotrigordle *

Duotrigordle.com

To finish off the list, we have a game that is very similar to Wordle. Iwsn fact Duotrigordle is just Wordle multiplied by 32. That’s a lot. With a whole 37 guesses, Duotrigordle’s goal is to get all the words. When you enter one 5 letter word it puts it into ALL individual Wordles, then it functions as normal. Refreshes at midnight local time.