The Student News Site of Legacy High School

Lightning Letter

Lightning Letter

Lightning Letter

In Memory of Christopher Reagan: the Chris Reagan Memorial Golf Tournament
Lindsay Uba, President • April 21, 2024
What to Expect from the Upcoming AP Tests
Sam Holmberg, Writer & Photographer • April 16, 2024
Chicago: Teen Edition poster from the Legacy High School Thespians
Legacy's Musical Production: Chicago
Lindsay Uba, President • March 20, 2024
Lindsay Uba, President • April 21, 2024
Legacy's Musical Production: Chicago
Lindsay Uba, President • March 20, 2024

Freshmen Presidential Running

Over the past month, there has been a presidential run between said candidates; Sophia Block, Luke Taylor, Fareeha Shaik, and vice president Mariah Hernandez. The voting was September 8 during lunch periods. But how do you know who to vote for? How do we know which candidate is the right choice?

Starting off with Sophia Block, in her interview, she said that she had experience with student leadership. Not only that, but she is also in the Student Government here at Legacy. Sophia is also incorporating this year’s word “CREATE” by using all of our voices.

“My goal as president would be to create a legacy for Class of 2027 using all of our voices,”

— Sophia Block

Peers that voiced their opinion on Block said these things: ” … she is a really good person …she is a good student …she is organized and hardworking …she is organized, she’s responsible …a great leader and a great role model … an awesome candidate and she knows what she’s going to be doing … good role model and good leader – she knows what the students want … kind and a great leader.” Block has had multiple people talk about her aspects of leadership and her intentions on how to make this school better. Will she be able to live up to those expectations though? If she is voted president would she be able to live up to all the expectations that these people have put out for her? Will she be able to live up to the expectations of the school? 

Moving on to Fareeha Shaik who is also running for Freshmen class president. Unlike Block, Shaik has had no one on her behalf talk about her attributes. Shaik did have a lot of energy during her interview with the student government. Enthusiastic is how you would describe her energy. In her words, she is “very much a people’s person.” Will her being a people person win her the running? Shaik had to voice her own attributes as to why she should win for class president, saying that she loves making new friends and connections along with hearing new opinions and ideas.

“I’ve realized that many people are scared to voice their ideas in fear of judgement or pure paranoia.”

— Fareeha Shaik

An interesting statement made by Shaik, but let’s face it―she is not wrong. Half -if not more- of the school is scared to put themselves out there to voice their own opinion. We need someone to do it for us. We need to depend on someone who will voice our voices for us. Shaik also promised to stand up for every idea that is said and given. “I will try my best to make sure nobody misunderstands your idea.”

Mariah Hernandez, is running for vice president. All that she said was simply, “My name is Mariah Hernandez. I am a freshman and I am running.” Maybe simplicity will help these presidents. Wondering about the other candidate Luke Taylor? Taylor did not have an interview to have any quotes on, let alone any attributes to speak of. However, in his world history class, he did pass out lollipops with the saying, “Vote for Luke Taylor”. 

Who will win this running? Which one of the candidates will represent this school and the Class of 2027? Will the winner be able to live up to the school’s expectations of leading the Freshmen Class of 2027?

The announcement was made. Sophia Block won the title of Freshman class president.