What I Wish I Knew Before High School

Kandice Chandra, Contributor

Fresh off three years in middle school, most incoming freshmen probably feel ready for the change of pace that is high school. Well, be wary, it all flies by faster than you can even imagine. With that being said, here are 5 things I wish I knew before starting high school:

1. People you don’t expect end up being your friend

Whether its someone you grew up with, someone that lived in a different state, you never know who you meet that might end up being your friend. High school allows you to meet new people!

2. Grades before freshman year really don’t matter.

Whatever happened then is over, and now each grade you earn shows up on your transcript that all colleges see. No pressure or anything. 

3. Being nice to your teachers and classmates can only help you in the long run.

Being friendly is never a bad idea and you never know if the person sitting next to you is going to be the next Steve Jobs.

4. Procrastination will become one of your biggest enemies.

So hard to avoid, but all we can do is try our best. I’m warning you now to give you a tiny bit of an upper hand.

5. Take it all in because it truly will be over before you know it. 

Of course, it sounds cliché, all advice does. But really. Before you know it you’ll be standing on that stage wearing a cap and gown wondering how the years flew by so quickly. Cherish the time you spend eating in the commons, driving off-campus with your friends, or studying in the library. You might even miss it once you graduate. Who knows!

“Count to ten, take it in, this is life before you know who you’re gonna be.”

— Taylor Swift